Attention all Pug owners:

My husband and I were in San Antonio, TX for the holidays when all of a sudden, we get a call very early in the morning the day before New Years Eve from my mother-in-law telling me that my Pug Chula had eaten a lot of gum, and that she might not make it. I was so confused and couldn't understand why she would be dying from eating gum when we had never heard such a thing. What happened was, my sister-in-law had left a whole container of Ice Breaker Ice Cube Sugar Free gum on floor in her room, and Chula being a typical pug found it and ate the whole container.

Later that day, Chula was vomiting and started to act very weird and sick. Then my mother-in-law realized her vomit smelled like mint, and then when my sister-in-law found the empty container in her room, they put two and two together. They quickly looked it up online, and there they learned for the first time that sugar free gum containing Xylitol can be deadly to a dog if not treated immediately. So sure enough, my mother and sister-in-law rushed her to the emergency vet, and they started to treat her for the poisoning with IV fluids and a Liver pill. After talking to the doctor that was caring for her at the animal hospital, she informed us that there haven’t been many cases such as this one, and that there is no antidote for this type of poisoning. She told us that the poison attacks the liver which can then lead to liver or organ failure. Out of the eight cases that they have heard and studied, only three had survived. But what worried the doctor the most was the amount of pieces she had ingested. According to the doctor, two or three pieces are enough to kill a dog her size, but she had eaten 39!

We cut our trip short to return home to Maryland to help our baby fight the battle. She spent five days in the ICU at an animal hospital where she had 24 hour care. After five days of extensive IV treatments and plasma transfusions, we couldn’t financially afford to keep her there so we worked out a deal with our family Vet in which we would continue her IV fluids from open to close and bring her home at night for fraction of the cost. If we had all the money in the world, we would have left her at the hospital with 24 hour care, but there was still no guarantee that her liver could be saved and she would survive.


After 8 long days of Chula fighting to get back to her normal and happy life, she has now gone to heaven. Chula passed away at home in her sleep from organ failure while laying with me, her mommy. We are very sad to see her leave us so soon at a month away from turning six, but we know that she is now in a better place. All I can say is that she was a fighter! For a dog her size to make it this far after ingesting the amount she did, it was a miracle the doctors said. She was the coolest and cutest Pug ever. We will always miss you Chula, life will not be the same without you.


RIP Chula

February 13, 2005 - January 7, 2011


If you have a dog, make sure that you don’t have this type of gum laying around within their reach. Better yet, don’t even risk it and buy gum that doesn’t contain this ingredient or other sugar free ingredients such as Sorbitol. And one more thing, sugar free baked/cooked goods can also contain Xylitol, so be careful!  And most importantly, pass the word around! Hershey's should start a campaign on Pet Safety that can create awareness on these types of products that are toxic to pets, especially when their number one selling product chocolate can also be deadly to pets. So if you have a minute, please call 1-800-468-1714 and express your concerns over this. We would really appreciate your help with trying to create a buzz on this, and again it can help save many other pets lives and help people like us from suffering from a tragedy that could have been prevented, if only there was more awareness on this.




Too read more about this harmful ingredient and how it attacks a dogs bodycheck out the sites provided below:


http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/toxicology/qt/xylitol_tox.htm

http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-health-toxi... -get pet insurance, much needed when you have an accident like this happen, will help pay the high hospital bills

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/people-foods.aspx - Read more on other foods you should avoid feeding your pet

Views: 389

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Wow this is so scary that you never know what can happen.  I would have never thought sugar free gum would do this.  I am very happy that you did post this for all of us to learn from your sad loss.

RSS

REACH 5,000 members

Advertise on Pugslife and reach out to over 5,000 pug owners.  All day, every day.

 

For more information, contact Christine London-Camper

 

We just Love PUGS!!

Sasha Says. . .



Sasha is our resident pug. When she's not napping, she likes to talk. and talk. and talk! Pug health. Pug training. Pug trivia. Pug, pug, pug ... all the time!

Do you know all about pugs? Not until you hear what Sasha Says.

Pugslife shirts

All proceeds go to help keep PUGSLIFE growing

Latest Activity

P. Michele Webster commented on Twirly's blog post Vet Bills Assistance
"My soon to be ex husband left me for another woman and wouldn't come back to see Butters. He said this was his dog, but let me keep my baby boy so we wouldn't separate him from the other pug I have. He has not shared or helped with any…"
May 3
P. Michele Webster commented on Twirly's blog post Vet Bills Assistance
"I just lost my black, male pug named Butters. My girl fawn pug's in depression. She started getting depressed. I keep her routine up, play with her toys with her. In the mean time, I am desperately missing my Butters. Now she's lost…"
May 3
rog radcliff liked Literary Lucy's video
May 1
julie foutch replied to julie foutch's discussion Heartbreaking Loss
"It is very hard and it hurts more than you could ever say but,i've learned to get myself together and that wasn't easy as each one that has passed they have passed in my arms many don't know how i do it or why i put myself through it…"
Apr 14
Pam & Pugs :0) commented on julie foutch's group ABBY'S HOPE
"So sad!  Little Izzy was so loved by Molly.  "
Apr 11
Konrad Jaschke replied to julie foutch's discussion Heartbreaking Loss
"Hi Julie, long time no talk. Its the toughest thing I've had to deal with besides the loss of my mom of course. :(  I went through life with lots of pets, but my parents were always the ones that had to do the final deed when they got…"
Apr 11
julie foutch replied to julie foutch's discussion Heartbreaking Loss
"Just wanted to add my story of loss well,how i cope actually i try to cope as we just had a very dear friend lose her pug and it all hit in that way it's hard to say but,through the years of being involved in rescue some are wonderful stories…"
Apr 11
julie foutch commented on julie foutch's group Eye's Of Love
Apr 11
julie foutch commented on julie foutch's group Senior Pugs
Apr 11
julie foutch commented on julie foutch's group ABBY'S HOPE
Apr 11
Pippa joined Lindsey's group
Thumbnail

Indianapolis Pugs

Pugs in the Indy area.
Mar 18
julie foutch commented on PugPapa's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0284

"Awwwwwwwww too precious."
Feb 24

© 2018   Created by Christine London-Camper.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service