How long do you take your pugs out for i have been told so many different stories just wondered what you think as you own pugs i have been told by people who dont have any? Where do you take them i think because Lola has had trouble with her eyes from 10 wks i worry where to take her incase.

Views: 4476

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have 4 pugs 2 fawn 1 black and a pug/boxer mix. I also live in Indiana but I only take the 3 full pugs out when the temp is above 40 degrees. There paws just can't take it. The other he HAS to have a walk everyday or he starts bouncing off the walls. When we go we are out 20 -45 min depending on the weather, time of day, and how busy I am. Maggie and Pepper will start on 20 min walks only this year. Maggie just cant take the distance anymore, she turned 8 last month and tires pretty easily. Pepper is blind in his right eye and deaf in his left ear so he startles pretty easily. With the warmer weather coming on there will be more activity outside to startal him. I'd dearly love to get my hands on the people that had him. I'd treat them the way they must have treated Pepper. GRRRRRRRRRR
I know what you mean, i got two pugs from a rescue and what those poor little cuties went through i would like to do to those people what they do to these dogs.I fight for these little angels and there rights some of these stories that people are doing to these babies makes me ill.My pugs are my life i do what i do for them to help all the other pugs out there that may be their family member.I will open my home to any little puggie who may need a safe haven.Glad to know you care as well,your a special person to your babies are lucky,good-wishes go out to you.
Hi there, my pugs love a daily walk and are not impressed if we go out for any less than 30 minutes, they love nothing more than an hour out sniffing and exploring the streets and park. It seems all pugs are different, but when they are young they advise 5 mins for every month so as not to damage their legs whilst they are still growing. My Bella Boo has just turned one and she loves as long out as her 2 1/2 year old brother Pepé. xxx
Forgot to say that im in London, England so its cold here at the moment, obviously if you live in a hot area then its best not to walk them unless its early morning or late at night and not for long. xxx
I walk my Pug 3 times a day. 2x20 min. & 1x 40. We of course have a very mild clima as well. I understand why pugs don't want to walk in the hot temp. weather.
MY 2 CENTS:

Pugs eyes are one of the features that needs special care because of the way Puggies faces are shaped (no long nose to protect the eyes) plus other eye issues.
Also, check the weather and temperature before you take out your pooch. Pugs cannot be in too hot or too cold..this is very important. Subjecting a Pug to extreme temperature can be life threatening!

I use Clifford's 'potty' time as exercise time too. We will walk around for about 25-40 minutes. In Vegas, we have alot of apartment home complexes..with lots of space and GRASS! So we walk around the complex. Clifford meets other doggies along the way..and always gets petted cause Puggies are soooooooooooooooooooo lovable and love getting their heads rubbed!!

He loves it and by the time we get back...he's exhausested and taks a nice snortfilled nap!

As with everything, play it by ear and see what suits the both of you... and as always...ask your Vet for imput as well.
When we first got Mia, we would take her across the street to the park to teach her how to walk on a leash. The first few times we tried this, she would (as we would call it) "put the brakes on". She would plant her feet on the ground and if we wanted her to move, we would literally have to drag her or pick her up. That phase ended after about 3 days. Now she LOVES to go for walks and she loves going to the park. Our second pug, Niko, loved walks from the beginning. Now that they are about the same size, I got them a double leash attachment, so that I can hold one leash and they both are able to walk on the end of it. Great invention! Anyway, Mia and Niko usually walk with me for about a mile in the spring and fall. In the summer, we usually only walk half a mile, and we try to go in the early evening when the temperature has cooled outside. Sometimes a shorter distance if it's still hot out.
I called summer my Vampire pug time. We'd walk way before the sun came up and way after it set with a brief be careful of the paws on concrete/pavement walk. I kept water with me always and sometimes ice. If your pug gets hot ( I'm in Florida) I found throwing him in emergency pools and fountains helped and rubbing ice on his/her feet. A pug's temp can jack up faster than you expect. 20 minutes walks are usually pug friendly. Just beware of the heat.
I have a small childs pool that we keep about 6 inches of water in all summer. The boys will use it to get a drink but Maggie gets in and plays. We put a leaf or blade of grass in the water and Maggie will chase it. She even puts her entire head under the water when well fill it to the edge. She will play hours but when she gets out and dries off she takes a long LONG nap.
i walk my pug Lilly about 2 1/4 miles almost everyday. we usually go before the sun comes up so tempature generally is not an issue (it is my exercise also). she loves her walks and even though we almost always take the same route she is never bored and she is very healthy because of the walks (i believe)!
Hi, I live right next to a park, so we normally go on 1 or 2 quick 15 mins walk a day. He loves the park, and never tires of sniffing at everything. I live in England so the weather is hardly ever too hot to walk in, so it's easy to have longer walks at the weekend.
I take Chesty out several times a day. Since he is a puppy he is
really really hyper. The walks kinda burn some of that energy :D

He gets his first trip outside for about 5-10 mins at around 0530h
and then again every 2-3 sometimes 4 hours tops. His last walk
is around 2200 - 2230h then it is time for bed.

His longest walk (this is utah so the weather can be tricky.
tomorrow we are expecting snow) has been 15 - 20 mins.

RSS

REACH 5,000 members

Advertise on Pugslife and reach out to over 5,000 pug owners.  All day, every day.

For more information, contact Christine London-Camper

Natural Dog Snout Soother

Snout soother nose balm for dogs. Your dogs will thank you!!!!

Twirly Says. . .

Twirly is our resident pug. When she's not napping, she likes to talk. and talk. and talk! Pug health. Pug training. Pug trivia. Pug, pug, pug ... all the time!

Do you know all about pugs? Not until you hear what Twirly Says.

Pugslife shirts

All proceeds go to help keep PUGSLIFE growing

Latest Activity

Konrad Jaschke replied to Shannon Ricketts 's discussion Cooling down a pug
"I've got a big job this weekend, about to head over to clients so I can't work it up right now, but will try by Sunday? I gotta go to the store and have a look at what the sizes are of everything I buy."
25 minutes ago
Shannon Ricketts replied to Shannon Ricketts 's discussion Cooling down a pug
"I would love the recipe because I don't think the weight control is working"
43 minutes ago
"Yikes, 30lbs, My Zoe was overweight at 23lbs. :)  But she was the runt of the litter.  Just like people, dogs are all different so just because 30lbs is a lot it might not be for some dogs.  I go by can I feel their ribs. :)  If…"
1 hour ago
"She is over weight 30lb she is no on a weight control diet"
2 hours ago
"No problem, remember its just opinion.  I could be wrong and the vet might be someone to talk to.  It also could be being overweight?  What is her weight?  My Zoe started to get fairly big in her middle years, I reduced her diet…"
2 hours ago
"Thank you and you did help"
2 hours ago
"Hmm, my Zoe later in life developed a similar problem when summer came around.  She would pant like crazy all night and then I would find she had pee'ed herself as well (maybe from drinking so much water?).  The first summer the vet…"
2 hours ago
The Wee Woman commented on Jim Anderson (docand)'s photo
Thumbnail

Lexi at a MN MPR Playtime

"She is obviously tolerant of being dressed up, mine started as an escape artist very young."
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

Lexi the Hamburger Monster

"Very tasty Lexi, you not the HAM burger."
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

Lexi and the Cow

"Lexi obviously knows it isn't real. had a smell and thought I might as well sit beside this ornament."
5 hours ago
The Wee Woman posted photos
10 hours ago
The Wee Woman commented on The Wee Woman's blog post I have worried about posting this because it doesn't concern Pugs.
"Thank you Jack, not strictly an election more People Power, we have been granted the right to make the decision to either remain in the UK or to become what we were for centuries, an independent grown up state. I hope we join all the others to have…"
10 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Christine London-Camper.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service