If anyone could help me with this I would be so grateful. My 2 year old black pug Lily has been having numerous kidney/bladder infections. She is spayed and I have taken her to the vets many times only to be put on antibiotics. Anyone else have this problem and any solutions ? Thanks Much ~~~

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi. I amy have a little bit of information for you. My Gabby girl has had the same issues, the doctor told me it is because of the way they are built, they get some of the poop running down to their muffin and it causes urinary infection, It is sad but can't be helped. The best thing to do is to wipe her muffin after she does her business and give her cranberry pills in powder form in her water or food. this will help keep the infections under control. My girl had stones in her bladder and they had to be removed, Crystal stones. Now I keep a very close eye on her and make sure I wipe her every-time she comes in. But still she gets the infections, not as bad as before but still the odd time she will get them. So I take her back to the vet she goes back on her meds for ten days then she is ok again. But it is difficult to get a hold of. bUT THE REALITY IS THAT THE POOP RUNING DOWN HER BOTTOM WILL MAKE CONTACT WITH HER VULVA ND THEN YOU GET THE INFECTION. This happens to female dogs more frequently then you would think.
I hope this helps and you get your little girl taken care of.
Please keep me posted on your struggle.
Erick
thanks much for your wise words. I will do the wipe thing for sure. Was it painful for your Gabby to have the crystals removed. These poor babies. I hate it when they hurt.

thanks much,

jane
Well Gabby went under so she did not feel anything. But the crystal stones caused her to bleed as well. i was freaking out when I saw the blood in her urine. But like I said after a bit of tests and figuring out what was wrong we took care of it and we know we will have to look after it for the rest of her beautiful life.
She is a little Angel. Gabby has such a loving heart and a soft personality. She is adorable, just wants to be hugged petted and cuddled. But most of all she loves the cookies. lol So we make sure she gets all the love and cookies she wants. lol But seriously get the cranberry pills. Or if you find the concentrated cranberry juice, the real stuff with no preservatives or additives or sugars or anything. Just the pure stuff that does wonders for them too. Try to find organic if possible. But wish you the best and just know that this will occur more then once. just try to stay on top of it. It is not her or your fault. Just a thing of nature for the female dogs.
Erick
Thank you for your reply. We have two females. Rosie 4 and Lily 2. Lily is tiny, 15 pounds and full of adventure abd fun. Rosie is a bit overweight at 25 pounds, but the vet saud that is her built !! Umm. We have had them both since they were six weeks old and you know what I mean when I say they rule the house.lol. Rightnow, one is at my feet snoring and one on the bed under the covers. They are the very best companions. My husband and I love them both dearly. They both go with us everywhere. I did start some cranberry pills this am ~~ Keep in touch and again I thank you ~~

RSS

REACH 5,000 members

Advertise on Pugslife and reach out to over 5,000 pug owners.  All day, every day.

For more information, contact Christine London-Camper

We just Love PUGS!!

Sasha Says. . .

Sasha is our resident pug. When she's not napping, she likes to talk. and talk. and talk! Pug health. Pug training. Pug trivia. Pug, pug, pug ... all the time!

Do you know all about pugs? Not until you hear what Sasha Says.

Pugslife shirts

All proceeds go to help keep PUGSLIFE growing

Latest Activity

PugPapa posted photos
yesterday
julie foutch commented on peedy the pug's photo
Thumbnail

picture016

"Awwwwwwwwwwwwww."
Jun 16
julie foutch liked peedy the pug's photo
Jun 16