Does this sound like a description of a pug with stenotic nare? Early this morning, around 1:30 am, my son woke me up and said, "Your dog is acting weird and making strange noises!" I flew out of bed to Mr. Foo's crate and found him standing outside of it, making a loud snuffing/snoring sound. His eyes showed signs of panice, his sides were heaving heavily. I opened his mouth to try to help him intake some air, because it sounded like he couldn't get any. The heavy heaving of his chest reminded me of when my son had croop when he was two. He couldn't draw breath and it was hard on his heart. It took a while for him to calm and for the snorting/snuffing to subside. I've seen him exhibit a bit of this one other time, but it wasn't nearly like this. I've been afraid to leave him alone for even a little bit since this happened.

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds exactly like stenotic nares to me; my pug has had hers operated on and still does this from time to time. It's encouraged by excess weight; my pug Dorothy has never been exactly 'svelte' albeit she doesn't get any treats. I have a black pug who eats the same each day but is the perfect weight for her size.... dorothy had her stenotic nares made wider, an elongated soft palate that was dangling down her windpipe shortened and was spade in the same day... I was so worried that 3 ops in one day would be too much, but she was bouncing around later that day like a puppy.... no respect for her pain whatsoever!!! I'd advise to see your vet and most importantly, keep the weight down - very hard with a Pug, I know!! Good luck.
My pug lily, who is almost 2 had similar symptoms. I took her to the vet an they told me that she had bronchitis. You might want to check to see if that might be the case too.
Lisa...this is something all pugs do. I know it is scary...completely freaked me out the first time it happened but I got online and discovered it is very common. My favorite description of it is "scary backwards breathing". When they spade Olivia they enlarged her nostrils at the same time to help open her airways but from what I can tell it didn't help one bit. The issue lies in their throats....to much stuff all jammed in there. When it happens don't get too upset, someone said that pinching their nose helps and I always just gently rub her chest which helps to calm them down I think. Of course you do want to be sure it's not getting worse over time and that it's not bronchitis either......
Good Luck!
Its really scary I know, both of my Pugs do this and Lucy's last for quite awhile I was thinking she had asthma then a passerby was walking in front of my house and saw it happening one day when I was out in the yard with Lucy, the lady had a Pug and said all Pugs do it to a certain degree, some people call it a backward sneeze. The do seem to panic when it happens, I talk to her, calm her down rub her tummy and divert her attention it works every time once I take her mind off it with a favorite toy she stops and completely comes out if it, kinda like a seizure. Have your dog checked out of course and make sure its not an underlying breathing problem. There is another discussion on this website about the backward sneeze I think you might find it on the forum, it was just recently.
I sure wish I would have had this website to refer to a long time ago, when Lucy was a puppy (she' nine now), its would have been nice for the information.

RSS

REACH 5,000 members

Advertise on Pugslife and reach out to over 5,000 pug owners.  All day, every day.

For more information, contact Christine London-Camper

We just Love PUGS!!

Sasha Says. . .

Sasha is our resident pug. When she's not napping, she likes to talk. and talk. and talk! Pug health. Pug training. Pug trivia. Pug, pug, pug ... all the time!

Do you know all about pugs? Not until you hear what Sasha Says.

Pugslife shirts

All proceeds go to help keep PUGSLIFE growing

Latest Activity

Sophie posted photos
Apr 10
Sophie commented on Sophie's photo
Thumbnail

In his favourite place, with my little girl. My milo

"Oh wow, Im sure i can remember when you got Linus?! Or he was very young. Wowee sure has flown by. How are they doing? Milos stroller has arrived today and I'm so excited to start getting him out and about alot easier now rather than a two…"
Apr 10
Di's spoiled kids commented on Sophie's photo
Thumbnail

In his favourite place, with my little girl. My milo

"Hi Sophie, it sure has been awhile, your daughter is very cute, and how old is Milo now.  I know the time has flown by, Linus will be 10 and Lizzy 9.  I hope all is well.  This is the first I have been back to Pugslife in a few…"
Apr 7
Helena Brown left a comment for Sophie
"D Sad to say Sophie that most of the migrated to Facebook, I just gave up. Di  and I remain I touch by email and I kept in touch with Pam in Arizona, and with Molly in California until she died last year, her and Izzy within months of each…"
Apr 6
"The pushchair came out of Amazon, around £40 Mark, not the greatest but we have had good use if it. We were considering buying a new one but they are really all of a muchness. If Milo is anything like Hektor he will love the fact that he can…"
Apr 5
Helena Brown replied to julie foutch's discussion Yet Another Loss
"Julie I was sad to hear.about Bear. He was such a gentle soul. We have had quite a year."
Apr 5
Sophie posted photos
Apr 5
"Hi Sophie, Hektor now eleven, heading for twelve, has arthritis, so we bought a push chair for him and he loves it. He got over the cataract but he had been left with the pigmentation in his good eye. He was treated for around four years t on the…"
Apr 5
julie foutch left a comment for Sophie
"So very sorry to hear about Milo,it is so hard as they get older,i know about that i wished they could live forever.Please give Milo Birthday Kisses For Me and please take care,i'll keep you in my prayers."
Apr 5
Sophie left a comment for julie foutch
"Hiya! Just going around seeing where everyone who used to hang out here in 2010 has gone? How you're all doing! It's Milos 10th birthday this year and his health is getting worse and I've been reminiscing at his old photos and wanted…"
Apr 4
Sophie left a comment for Pug Chick
"Hiya! Just going around seeing where everyone who used to hang out here in 2010 has gone? How you're all doing! It's Milos 10th birthday this year and his health is getting worse and I've been reminiscing at his old photos and wanted…"
Apr 4
Sophie updated their profile
Apr 3

© 2019   Created by Christine London-Camper.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service