Hi everyone! My Sophie has been urinating more often, leading us to think she has a UTI again (she had one a few months ago.) However when I saw a small piddle she had made on our bed (slightly dried) it had some blood in it (expected- had it with UTI) but also a sandy, sugary-like slight sediment. I've heard about crystals in urine but don't remember if this is part of a UTI or something worse. Thanks for your thoughts. And don't worry- we'll be taking her to the vet soon. Just need someone to ease my mind!

Views: 977

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My Sasha had problems with urinating a lot and crystals in her urine in May 07 and around Nov. 07 and our former vet told us she need to be on Prescriptive C/D by Science Diet. However that stuff just made her coat look awful and she became very lazy. In light of that, last May I switched her food to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul and started to add a capful of Apple Cider Vineger to her food once a day, once a week. She hasn't had any problems since taking her off of the C/D and her coat is back to normal and as beautiful and soft as it has been prior to the C/D diet.

HTH
I would definately take her to the doc. before it gets worse. I have 2 pugs who have had struvite crystals in their urine- I just had to change their food to avoid stones. Good luck!
Kelly it will be interesting to find out what the vet says. I had recurring UTI's with my Lucy. The vet ended up doing a surgical procedure that lifted the vulva so it would drain better. No more UTI's. And the surgery was not that expensive. Good luck. Lucy's Mom
Thanks everyone for your comments. We went to the vet Monday and Sophie had very high levels of white blood cells and crystals in her urine. Last UTI, she just had white blood cells. That being said, they assumed it was the start of stones, and did some X-Rays. Luckily- no stones whatsoever! So we caught it early. She is on new food which is only a few dollars more expensive than our normal bag (and I think maybe a bigger bag to boot) and she seems to like it a lot more than her old food! I think the texture is better for her. She won't get any treats for a while but she seems happy. Oh and Lucy- she has a similar problem with that area (gosh pugs have wrinkles EVERYWHERE to hoard bacteria) and I have to clean her up with baby wipes down there every day or so. I'm glad she will be ok! She's already urinating inside less!! (NO ACCIDENTS YESTERDAY!!!!)
My pug has just been to the vet with frequent urineation in the house!! some blood in urine.
The vet gave me a prescript for antibi's still hasn't seem to help.
Please tell my what kind of prescript food you guys are using so I can contact my vet.
Thanks.
I am new here I hope I did this right I wish it was under different circumstances.
At 2am in the morning I can't sleep worried about my Pugster.

Thanks again
Ed, Give the antibiotics as the doctor prescribed. Try to get your pug extra water any way you can. Ice cubes is a way, putting a little water in his food helps, giving a little salt (to make him thirsty...just a LITTLE), then while he is sick with the bladder infection, cook for him. A little white rice and chicken soup...check with the vet. Later as he feels better, then give better food Wellness is good, Eukanuba, or Hills prescription formula....whatever the vet recommends will probably be good. Also, you can look up the www.dogfoodanalysis.com and pick something that will be better than what you are using now. The antibiotics will work, but will take a few days. Be sure to take all of the pills as prescribed by the doctor. Don't stop because you think the dog feels better. Let the doctor see the dog again after for a re-check to be sure the infection is over! Is your pug a male or female? Good luck, Maryann and Lucy
Thanks for the responce, I will continue with the antibiotics until they are finished.
My pug is a female "Randi" thanks for the good advice.
I am currently feeding my pug Pro Plan dry dog food.
I thought that was the best going it sure cost enough. I guess I'll try one of yours, thanks so much.
I will call the vet tomorrow too,thanks.
Hey Ed- they "prescribed" Royal Canin Urinary SO. Royal Canin makes lots of specialty foods for different problems and the SO one is for the urinary problems. What it does is balance the pH of the urine to make it more like water, so those crystals don't form, etc. Unless your vet says that Randi had crystals, she won't need this food. I'm sure there are tricks to help make her UTI go away though- I wonder if pugs can have anything cranberry? That works in humans! haha. Good luck!
Kelly,
I use a cranberry powder I get at the vet for Lucy and her bladder...works great!\
Thanks so much to everyone who responed. the vet did tell me Randi did have crystals in her urine. I think I will switch her dog food to that Nature's best I beleave Dick Van Patten is the spokesmen for that food I beleve its all natural.
thanks ladies

RSS

REACH 5,000 members

Advertise on Pugslife and reach out to over 5,000 pug owners.  All day, every day.

For more information, contact Christine London-Camper

We just Love PUGS!!

Sasha Says. . .

Sasha is our resident pug. When she's not napping, she likes to talk. and talk. and talk! Pug health. Pug training. Pug trivia. Pug, pug, pug ... all the time!

Do you know all about pugs? Not until you hear what Sasha Says.

Pugslife shirts

All proceeds go to help keep PUGSLIFE growing

Latest Activity

PugPapa liked Katherine Mayberry's photo
Feb 19
PugPapa liked peedy the pug's photo
Feb 19
PugPapa updated their profile
Feb 19
PugPapa posted a status
"We lost our JerZy Joe Bah Bah Louie to the Rainbow Bridge January 4, 2019.... he was 16 years 8 months 3 daze R.I.P"
Feb 19
Tania Savage posted a status
"Spudz crossed over Rainbow Bridge 27/07/18, I will not post on here again."
Dec 25, 2018
Pam & Pugs :0) left a comment for Jack
"If you have a new baby, I don't think a puppy would be a good choice.  Both take a lot of time.  Perhaps adopt an older pug?"
Dec 9, 2018
Pam & Pugs :0) left a comment for PugPapa
"Enjoyed going through your pictures, so cute."
Dec 9, 2018
Pam & Pugs :0) commented on Konrad Jaschke's photo
Thumbnail

20180702_155253

"This is adorable, it's a pile of pups, with a pug as the cherry on top!  "
Dec 9, 2018
Pam & Pugs :0) left a comment for brooklyn flames
"Post a pic of your pug."
Dec 9, 2018
Pam & Pugs :0) left a comment for Alvin John Ernst
"So, where is the picture of your pug?"
Dec 9, 2018
Pam & Pugs :0) commented on Puggirl's photo
Thumbnail

My Angel, Tin Tin

"Our hearts break with you, Tin Tin was such a joy.  "
Dec 9, 2018
Pam & Pugs :0) commented on julie foutch's group ABBY'S HOPE
"And now we have lost sweet Tin Tin, beloved by Puggirl.  Pugs come into our lives to brighten them, and that is exactly what they do.  Sweet Tin Tin, please find our puggies that have gone on before us and tell them we still remember…"
Dec 9, 2018

© 2019   Created by Christine London-Camper.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service