My pug is almost 5 months now and we're heading into full swing hot season. I've begun to notice that the hair on his head has been thinning considerably. When I take him out for his daily walks the skin under starts to get a little pinkish. Is this just because of the heat or should I be worried? The temperature can go up to 46C during the day and will get even hotter in the middle of summer. Help

Views: 255

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OMG, I'm sorry to hear your little guy is in such a state.

Your description sounds like Demodex, my first pug Zoe had that when she was a pup.  She started losing hair on one rear leg, s small quarter sized and then it spread to maybe twice the size, but luckily nothing like what your poor boy has.  She was my first dog of my own and I was so worried, went to vet and tried everything.  I think some cream started working or she just started to get older and was able to fight it off.  All dogs have it, just when they are young like you said their immune systems can't keep it in check.

I don't have any ideas on how to get him better, just keep working on him and don't let him scratch it.  I'm sure something will start to kick in soon and he will get better.

I'm sure everyone here will be thinking of your little guy and hoping to see a bunch of pictures in the summer of him running around (in the shade) with a full head of hair all healed and no more nasty cone! :)

Get better so your mom doesn't have to worry so much!  Puppy time is the best time, should be lots of playing around.

So, just a little update on Tank. With his new medication both for Demodex Mange and the secondary infection that flared up he has started to get better. It's been almost 2 weeks since we started with this medication and I had applied betadine on the open infections which have thankfully stopped pussing and the scabs have come and gone. Now all I am dealing with is this small grey scabbing on all the places where he was loosing hair... Head Vet said this is normal and will continue to cover all the places on his body where the mites have lodged themselves. He still scratches when I take the cone off and I'm so scared to remove it as I don't want another infection to come as a result.

I remember the skin looking grey on my Zoe.  Eventually the hair grew back as well so hang in there, I think he will be back to his good looks in no time!  Poor little guy.  Those cones are awful!

Those cones, I am holding onto Hektor's one, the Vet had to cut down a really big one for Hektor as the size he normally uses for Pugs did not fit old mighty here. My Husband used to say the other two had the same size neck as he had, 16 inches, Hektor we measured is 18inches. T-shirts or coats have to fit Boxers, and they really do not fit him properly.

I would not take it off at all Sharon, I did with Hektor with his Entropion and he got a stitch out, it is  amazing how quick they can be. We did not take it off at all for his cataract op and he actually managed to do all the things he did normally, okay I did hand feed him, still got all the fingers I counted them after every meal. It is amazing how well dogs adjust. Hektor has black skin where the yeast cells die of on his skin. The skin does recover, Angus I think was pretty lucky I cannot remember any problems with his skin.

Sorry I've been off the grid for so long. Have been recuperating from foot surgery.

Just a little update, Tank is doing much better. The secondary infection has disapeared. He still is pretty bald on his head but the crustiness is almost gone and you can see new baby hairs poking up everyday. His legs will hopefully grow their hair back in the little bald patches but the doctor says the medicine is working and the mites are dying.. yaaaay :)

Sorry Sharon I noticed your reply but I have had off and on computer problems. I moved house in April into the country and I am finally getting the broadband upgraded, YAY!

I am so glad that it is working, it usually does, n only a fraction of the cases it becomes endemic and then you are in deepest dooda. Hope your foot is better too, so you and Tank can enjoy your time together.

Hektor is a major grump presently. We are living in a building site with houses being built behind us, which is unfortunately right in front of the living room window. Being a Pug of guarding instinct it is all too much for him so he has been out of the house for most of the week and for someone who is used to his 18 hour sleeps, not good for his temper. So sound asleep right now having been taken out between rain storms.

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that! The beautiful field in the pictures with all that greenery seemed to be the perfect place for Hektor. I can only imagine how his is right now with all the noise from construction. Here the government has decided to make parking spaces outside our compound (before it was all just sand) and Tank goes ballistic with all the noise and ground shakes etc... he's even started to bark at the door when he hears the other tenants coming up the stairs. I'm surprized at how protective he's become since my surgery and what a noisy little guard dog his is ;)

You will be glad to hear that his field is safe that is up the road from us, this is between our house and the park and we knew they were being built when we bought the house, same builder, but too close to him you could say. I think most Pugs are very protective of their home and people. We cannot stand and talk to friends if there is a chance that people will even walk by, cause Hektor goes ballistic. We will be glad once the roof is on, it is the only bit you will see though I can not see some of my old view, and once they move onto the walls they will not be level with us, there is a four foot wall topped with our six foot fence so you can see he will not be too bad then.

RSS

REACH 5,000 members

Advertise on Pugslife and reach out to over 5,000 pug owners.  All day, every day.

For more information, contact Christine London-Camper

We just Love PUGS!!

Sasha Says. . .

Sasha is our resident pug. When she's not napping, she likes to talk. and talk. and talk! Pug health. Pug training. Pug trivia. Pug, pug, pug ... all the time!

Do you know all about pugs? Not until you hear what Sasha Says.

Pugslife shirts

All proceeds go to help keep PUGSLIFE growing

Latest Activity

Sophie posted a photo
Thursday
Puggirl commented on Konrad Jaschke's photo
Thumbnail

20180702_155253

"Lovely! "
May 19
Puggirl liked Konrad Jaschke's photo
May 19
PugPapa posted a blog post
May 12
Sophie updated their profile
Apr 22
Sophie posted photos
Apr 22
Sophie posted photos
Apr 10
Sophie commented on Sophie's photo
Thumbnail

In his favourite place, with my little girl. My milo

"Oh wow, Im sure i can remember when you got Linus?! Or he was very young. Wowee sure has flown by. How are they doing? Milos stroller has arrived today and I'm so excited to start getting him out and about alot easier now rather than a two…"
Apr 10
Di's spoiled kids commented on Sophie's photo
Thumbnail

In his favourite place, with my little girl. My milo

"Hi Sophie, it sure has been awhile, your daughter is very cute, and how old is Milo now.  I know the time has flown by, Linus will be 10 and Lizzy 9.  I hope all is well.  This is the first I have been back to Pugslife in a few…"
Apr 7
Helena Brown left a comment for Sophie
"D Sad to say Sophie that most of the migrated to Facebook, I just gave up. Di  and I remain I touch by email and I kept in touch with Pam in Arizona, and with Molly in California until she died last year, her and Izzy within months of each…"
Apr 6
Helena Brown left a comment for Sophie
"The pushchair came out of Amazon, around £40 Mark, not the greatest but we have had good use if it. We were considering buying a new one but they are really all of a muchness. If Milo is anything like Hektor he will love the fact that he can…"
Apr 5
Helena Brown replied to julie foutch's discussion Yet Another Loss
"Julie I was sad to hear.about Bear. He was such a gentle soul. We have had quite a year."
Apr 5

© 2019   Created by Christine London-Camper.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service