Social network for pugs and their people.
It turned out that OJ's tear ducts (both of them) are completely blocked. He had a test with staining solution. That is the reason why he has excessive overflow of tears after walks, which in turn cause brown stains around his muzzle, problems with face hygine and is bothersome in general. Vet advised flushing the ducts under anesthesia. At the same time, vet warned that it may not help OJ at all.
Has anyone done that before? How effective it was?
I'm not amused to put OJ under anesthesia, let somebody tinker with his eyes and take a risk that it may have no effect whatsover. On the other hand, he has this issue for quite some time and it can get only worse. If possible, I would really like to get rid of that. Please contribute if you have good advices or previous experience with 'epiphora'.
Thanks in advance and Pug hugs from OJ.
Gosh, sorry to hear that I understand about putting your pug under anesthesia that is so dangerous for our pugs! You may want to consult an optometrist first and get a second opinion!
Whilst not having a Pug with this condition I had a Mother with it, she was told that she had a very slim chance that it would work and she decided to leave it. This was a good many years ago and things have moved on considerably as has anaesthesia. I think if OJ was mine I would ask for a second opinion as Christine says someone who specialises in eye problems. Our Vets are good but often you need an expert to give a qualified opinion.
I have not had this issue with any of mine. But I can say that as much as I have hated the prospect Puga has gone under 3 times and done fabulous. I would most def get a second opinion and if you decide to try it make sure your vet is well educated on pugs and can do a pre-op blood test for anesthesia. If it's something that you both can live with and will not cause major problems if not corrected then I would leave it be. Many hugs and kisses to OJ from Puga and I.
Thanks all. I'm really leaning towards flushing of ducts. It is supposedly very quick and non-invasive procedure that gives you an opportunity to see how bad or good the situation with ducts really is. The next steps are surgical opening of ducts or removal of third eyelid and that is where I would probably draw a line and leave it as it is.
For now, I will contact vet surgeon to check if things are really that way. OJ is young and strong as a bull (ehm.. 14 kgs/30 lbs of live weight!!!) and he should do fine under anesthesia. Nevertheless, as Pug chick said the pre-op blood test is not a bad idea.