Hi,

I have a wonderful, black pug named Sparky. He developed a hacking cough and has been diagnoised with a collapsed trachea. Apparently this develops in older dogs, especially pugs. He is being given Prednisone. Sparky is not over weight and hikes with us on a regular basis; he has always been very healthy.
Has anyone had this problem with their pugs? How has it been treated?

I would appreciate any information you may be able to give me.

Sincerely,

Cindy Phelan and Sparky

Views: 13576

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can see I posted some months ago about Pumpkin, who is still with us, certainly not worse, no more terrifying episodes, but he still has this hacking goose-like cough when excited.  He takes the prednisone (not sure if it is the same as hyrdrocodone) very occasionally, what works best when he is looking really stressed with it is to hold him close under a cold shower with a fan going overhead or in a swimming pool (thank Heavens we live in the tropics), to cool him down, and this really works.

He also was prescribed valium - a relaxant, I guess - when he was recovering from an extreme episode, but I wouldn't want him on that for any length of time, and anaesthesia is an issue.

It seems this is a genetic predisposition to which pugs with their squashy faces and breathing apparatus are particularly prone. I guess I wouldn't be doing too much exercise which causes the breathing apparatus to swell, flaps to close over.  For Pumpkin, cool and calm is the order of the day. 

Please keep posting! And good luck with your puggy girl.

Just wondering, is this a very common condition to develop in older pugs, is it known why it does? There doesn't seem to be any preventive measures that can be taken?
It is a condition known to pugs, my 3 year old just developed it. She is especially young. Keeping them under weight. Staying cool and not excited too.
Has the prednisone helped? How old is Sparky?  My 14-year old girl has it and is much too old for surgery. I'm looking for healthy options to help her with her cough.
Hi, my 9 month David, collapsed on Saturday morning for 30 seconds, and then he did it again on Monday morning for about 10 secs. I took him to Neurology on Monday right away, but they think it is heart or lung problems. He sneezes alot, but it doesnt cough. He got too excited the both times and he made this weird noise like a pig, and he felt ,and pee on himself. After a minute he was the same playtfull puppy as he usually is. His blood test is ok. Do you know what's wrong with him, he is still so young...for heart or lung diseases. I am taking him to Cardiology on Thursday...PLease if any of you expirience the same situation, help me to figure it out....I am just worry about him...
Look at the neurological route, check out seizures. Good luck
I was never aware of this problem. My first pug lived be be 16. I now have two females age 2 and 3. My 3 year old has a collapsed trachea. It is going to be a long road ahead. There is not much info out there about success of trachea surgerys. Good luck!

Just diagnosed in my 6 year old male.. I am devastated 

Cindy,
My pug gizmo who is 12 has the same thing. My vet did not put gizmo on any meds yet. But did say that heat and to much exercise is not good. I was also told there is really nothing that can cure it. It's so sad and I know your pain. Good luck!
Tracy
Cindy, Limit exercise. The harder Sparky breathes the more irritated the condition will become. I just lost my 13 year 5 month pug Nov 19, 2015 to a collapsed trachea. I have posted the story somewhere on this site today. Stay away from steroids. My opinion.

I have to agree with you regarding Steroids, Charles. Too many Vets still see this as a cure all. I have a friend with a two year old chocolate Lab who had been on them since she developed allergies as a small pup. I have given my friend some of my words of wisdom and helped out with Rio's itchy paws, it is amazing what Athletes foot cream will do.

I do not have a Pug with a collapsed trachea, but I know how bad it is. I did have one also with a hacking cough in old age but his was Congestive Heart Failure. To have to listen to a dog cough and have difficulty breathing is so hard.

I have no doubt the steroids shortened my pug's life. It put water weight on her and seemed to take her hacking cough to a suffocation-like state. She was coughing badly before steroids and nothing seem to work so our last ditch effort was steroids. I will admit my vet shared with me the risk. Unfortunately a collapsed trachea is a sad situation. I tried the natural route before I put her on meds. So I did all I could do.

RSS

REACH 5,000 members

Advertise on Pugslife and reach out to over 5,000 pug owners.  All day, every day.

For more information, contact Christine London-Camper

We just Love PUGS!!

Sasha Says. . .

Sasha is our resident pug. When she's not napping, she likes to talk. and talk. and talk! Pug health. Pug training. Pug trivia. Pug, pug, pug ... all the time!

Do you know all about pugs? Not until you hear what Sasha Says.

Pugslife shirts

All proceeds go to help keep PUGSLIFE growing

Latest Activity

Nikki M Andruschak Neal posted a blog post
Nov 23
Sophie posted a photo
Nov 12
Sophie posted photos
Nov 12
Sophie commented on Helena Brown's photo
Thumbnail

Hektor 2

"Hello beautiful hektor! How is he doing? I've been away for so long"
Nov 12
Helena Brown posted a photo

Hektor 2

Hektor at our Independence rally last year
Nov 8
PugPapa posted photos
Oct 25
PugPapa updated their profile
Oct 25
Nikki M Andruschak Neal liked julie foutch's blog post A Pugslife Of Today
Sep 8
Pam & Pugs :0) commented on PugPapa's blog post My Puggies
"Love these pug pics.  Gee, you'd think you liked pugs!  :)"
Sep 3
Pam & Pugs :0) replied to Christine London-Camper's discussion Hey Pug family!!!!
"Moving is such a hard thing for humans AND pugs!  Glad all is well. I was chatting with Julie on FB and she said Pugslife has lots of new friends.  Great to see all the pug pics.  "
Sep 3
Pam & Pugs :0) liked Christine London-Camper's discussion Hey Pug family!!!!
Sep 3

© 2019   Created by Christine London-Camper.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service