This is a serious question. Both my sister and I have owned female Pugs that seem a little slow, mentally. Is it possible for animals to be a little retarded, or is that just limited to humans? The Pugs that I am talking about were also over-affectionate, which I sure didn't mind at all. They are on this planet to be loved no matter whether they are perfect or not. She is perfect in my eyes. If anybody has an answer to this question, please let me know. Thank you.

Views: 1620

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Any canine can be retarded, have OCD's, be autistic and basically have anything neurologically negative that a human can have. As in humans, mental retardation and autism have levels of severity. It is difficult to make a firm diagnosis on mental retardation and autism in canines and to what level the canine may be affected due to lack of fim diagnostic tools in the veterinary health arena. I have one mildly mentally challanged chichihua and have one autistic greyhound. The greyhound is the more challenged of the two.
I would agree that Pugs come in as many shades of intelligence as humans. One of mine was as we say here "nice but stupid" the other one was as bright as a button. Hektor is really intelligent, worrying so, he is really nice but sometimes I think he is stringing me along.
Hi, I have a pug called Ziggy. He is pretty retarded, but still a nice dog. Helena, you mentioned that one of your dogs was 'nice but stupid', well let me tell you - Ziggy would make your specimen look like Einstein. Oh well - at least Ziggy doesn't have trouble breathing...

Despite being a mental head, Ziggy still enjoys a full life. He especially likes sniffing bums and trying to mount my cat (male)...yeah we think he could also be a homosexual. Is this possible?

If anyone has a pug with similar traits...I would love to hear from you. Maybe we could organise a play date? Although I will disclose that ziggy suffers from worms and smells like salami.

Ciao for now
Tristan, We have Murphy the rottie who lives round the corner from us and it is sort of reckoned by his owner that he is homosexual but his professional dog walker reckons he is bi-sexual as when he finally met the girls he was very interested.

RSS

REACH 5,000 members

Advertise on Pugslife and reach out to over 5,000 pug owners.  All day, every day.

For more information, contact Christine London-Camper

Natural Dog Snout Soother

Snout soother nose balm for dogs. Your dogs will thank you!!!!

Twirly Says. . .

Twirly is our resident pug. When she's not napping, she likes to talk. and talk. and talk! Pug health. Pug training. Pug trivia. Pug, pug, pug ... all the time!

Do you know all about pugs? Not until you hear what Twirly Says.

Pugslife shirts

All proceeds go to help keep PUGSLIFE growing

Latest Activity

Konrad Jaschke commented on Bebe Magoo's photo
Thumbnail

Pug Mugs 2

"Not looking to make money, just thought it would be cool.  Pugslife.org poster, Pugs Mugs.  I love it.  I'll work up a draft and show you what I mean.  Anyone could order the poster from the poster place for the cost of a…"
yesterday
Bebe Magoo commented on Bebe Magoo's photo
Thumbnail

Pug Mugs 2

"I just made sure that it was ok with who ever owned the pugs first, with a few exceptions of people that knew I was not going to use them to make money. It was just a fun thing I was doing and then I didn't have much time to spend on it for a…"
yesterday
Bebe Magoo liked Konrad Jaschke's blog post Maxx Just Finished Puppy Class!!!
yesterday
Konrad Jaschke commented on Konrad Jaschke's blog post Maxx Just Finished Puppy Class!!!
"Here he is trying to impress his girlfriend Mia the Beagle. "
yesterday
Konrad Jaschke posted blog posts
yesterday
julie foutch commented on Di's spoiled kids's photo
Thumbnail

I am one sleepy girl

"I lub my lizzy girl."
yesterday
julie foutch liked Di's spoiled kids's photo
yesterday
julie foutch commented on Di's spoiled kids's photo
yesterday
julie foutch liked Di's spoiled kids's photo
yesterday
julie foutch commented on Max Tellez's photo
Thumbnail

what! it cold out here!

"how sweet you are."
yesterday
julie foutch liked Max Tellez's photo
yesterday
julie foutch commented on carol rochester's photo
Thumbnail

my mam thinks we look smart

"awwww how sweet they are."
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Christine London-Camper.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service