This is a serious question. Both my sister and I have owned female Pugs that seem a little slow, mentally. Is it possible for animals to be a little retarded, or is that just limited to humans? The Pugs that I am talking about were also over-affectionate, which I sure didn't mind at all. They are on this planet to be loved no matter whether they are perfect or not. She is perfect in my eyes. If anybody has an answer to this question, please let me know. Thank you.

Views: 1636

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Any canine can be retarded, have OCD's, be autistic and basically have anything neurologically negative that a human can have. As in humans, mental retardation and autism have levels of severity. It is difficult to make a firm diagnosis on mental retardation and autism in canines and to what level the canine may be affected due to lack of fim diagnostic tools in the veterinary health arena. I have one mildly mentally challanged chichihua and have one autistic greyhound. The greyhound is the more challenged of the two.
I would agree that Pugs come in as many shades of intelligence as humans. One of mine was as we say here "nice but stupid" the other one was as bright as a button. Hektor is really intelligent, worrying so, he is really nice but sometimes I think he is stringing me along.
Hi, I have a pug called Ziggy. He is pretty retarded, but still a nice dog. Helena, you mentioned that one of your dogs was 'nice but stupid', well let me tell you - Ziggy would make your specimen look like Einstein. Oh well - at least Ziggy doesn't have trouble breathing...

Despite being a mental head, Ziggy still enjoys a full life. He especially likes sniffing bums and trying to mount my cat (male)...yeah we think he could also be a homosexual. Is this possible?

If anyone has a pug with similar traits...I would love to hear from you. Maybe we could organise a play date? Although I will disclose that ziggy suffers from worms and smells like salami.

Ciao for now
Tristan, We have Murphy the rottie who lives round the corner from us and it is sort of reckoned by his owner that he is homosexual but his professional dog walker reckons he is bi-sexual as when he finally met the girls he was very interested.

RSS

REACH 5,000 members

Advertise on Pugslife and reach out to over 5,000 pug owners.  All day, every day.

For more information, contact Christine London-Camper

Natural Dog Snout Soother

Snout soother nose balm for dogs. Your dogs will thank you!!!!

Twirly Says. . .

Twirly is our resident pug. When she's not napping, she likes to talk. and talk. and talk! Pug health. Pug training. Pug trivia. Pug, pug, pug ... all the time!

Do you know all about pugs? Not until you hear what Twirly Says.

Pugslife shirts

All proceeds go to help keep PUGSLIFE growing

Latest Activity

Puggirl commented on Kim's photo
Thumbnail

Bedtime for Lilly

"She's too damn cute :-)"
3 hours ago
Puggirl liked Kim's photo
3 hours ago
Quentin de Bruyn posted a discussion

Sadly, we need to start looking for a new home for our pugs

My wife and I have been heartbroken about the realization that we need to look for a new loving (pug loving) home for our pugs.We love our pugs and they are part of the family, but our life has got to a point where we just cannot give them the love and attention they need. We have a 2 year old child and are expecting second child in April.Our pug journey has been long, and I'm feeling sad even writing this. Ninja and Champ are our pugs, they are sisters (4 and 5 years old). We brought them with…See More
9 hours ago
Quentin de Bruyn and Bebe Magoo are now friends
9 hours ago
Di's spoiled kids commented on julie foutch's photo
Thumbnail

my buggy

"AWW so sleepy my sweet boy"
13 hours ago
The Wee Woman commented on julie foutch's photo
Thumbnail

my zoe

"She just loves her stuffies and now we know what she does with them......."
15 hours ago
Thumbnail

my buggy

"He reminds me of my old boy, how old is he now Julie?"
15 hours ago
Thumbnail

my bear

"He is a big Softie."
15 hours ago
Thumbnail

am this morning

"Now what is the river called? I see mist under the hill?"
15 hours ago
Thumbnail

am

"Isn't that just lovely."
15 hours ago
julie foutch posted photos
18 hours ago
The Wee Woman commented on Konrad Jaschke's blog post Maxx Just Finished Puppy Class!!!
"Big Pat on the back Maxx, way to go boy."
18 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Christine London-Camper.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service