I took Olivia to the vet (for a skin issue) and while I was there the vet said, "Wait, she's only 9 months old??... she's obese!!"

I was very offended.

Olivia weighs 24 pounds.

She has a little extra in my opinion (and we are working on figuring out a feeding schedule/amount that works for her as she's growing up) but I wouldn't call her obese!? She's chubby :)

Olivia is very stout, her pug-mommy was big for a pug (in body not fat), and her daddy too - I remember that when I picked her up from the breeder.

2 questions to my fellow pug loving friends...

How much does your Pug weigh?

Do you think 24 pounds it obese?

Tags: health, obese, pounds, weight

Views: 8277

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kali is right around 23-24 pounds. We were told she is overweight and to watch her food and any treats more closely. The vet wanted her down around 20 lbs. The vet never used the word obese.

Just keep weight in perspective. For Kali to lose 4 lbs (which doesn't sound like that much), that is about 15% of her body weight. I know it would take a good diet and exercise program for me to lose 15% of my body weight.
Ziggy is 10 months and weights 14 lbs. His feeding schedule is 1/2 cup of dry food in the morning and 1/2 cup in the evening (no house food.) For a pug to weight 24 lbs and being only 9 months seems slightly over weight. I wouldn't call it obese. Do you take her out for a walk often? Also, do you feed her house food?
We go on about 3-4 walks a day, about 10 minutes each - and we play alot, so she gets plenty of exercise. She gets people food on occasion, but it is always fruit or vegetables, never anything fatty.

I've been measuring her food and doing 1/4 cup 3 times a day.
I have two pugs (littermates) that turn 1 year old on Friday. My little boy weighs 23 lbs and my little girl weighs 21.8 lbs. Their parents weighed 16.8 (mother) and 23.6 (father).

One thing my vet advised with pug weight is to watch the waist. When you look down on your dogs back there should be an indentation where their natural waist is. My little girl started to loose hers at around 9 months so my vet had us switch to adult kibble a bit early, which seemed to help. Pugs tend to grow up till about 9-12 months, but their weight/body distribution continues to adjust for another year. While Juju didn't loose weight with the switch to adult food, her waist has become a little trimmer as her body adjusted.

I don't think 24lbs is too big. I attended a local pug event and met a couple with a 45 lb pug. That was a big pug.
I've seen a pug that big as well. MASSIVE ANIMAL!!! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it.
The parents genes are important in this case, as they send characteristics to the litter, too. Therefore, if Olivia's prents have been/are bigger boned , it's normal for her to weight 24 pounds. On the other hand, you must make the difference between strong phisycal features and obesity.

Obesity is a problem that many pugs have to deal with, and I would have asked the vet about more details. You see, the "offending" word made you question whether the vet's right and in the long run this is going to help your pug's wellbeing. Just for this purpose only, and I wouldn't be offended.
My pug is just over 1 year old and weighs 19 pounds - he is a very active pug though - we walk 3km every night ontop of play time, he is also of a smaller build. Maybe your pug is just built bigger than what your vet is used to? I don't know just keep your baby happy and healthy with lots of walks and play time!
Hamish is a year and a half and he's 24.5 pounds. he is a big pug (not fat). I have cut his food down to a little over 1/3 cup twice a day (regular evo kibble mixed with lo-fat evo kibble). He is not fat, just stocky and has lots of skin, esp around his neck area. The vet said he could lose a pound or two but nothing major. I'm not worried about it. I watch his treats tho.
Logan weighs 10kg bang on, which I think is 22lbs?

Anyway, he looks a bit stocky, but you can just feel his ribs a little if you run your hands along his side and you can still see an indentation where his hips are! So I wouldn't think your pug is badly overweight. Our Vet did also say at first that from the suggested weight in their database he was overweight, but after a physical examination he thought he was probably about the correct weight.
We, that is Hektor and I are having much the same discussion with our Vet. We were told that we should watch his weight. He has weighed in at 11.30 and 11.50 kilos. I am feeding him Royal Canin Pug specific dry food, but he was getting far too many treats. We managed to get him down to 11.2kilos but I think it is going up again. He has been getting a little chicken with his Royal Canin and I am trying to wean him off this. He like many of your pugs, is a fawn and they do tend to be bigger than most of the blacks. In fact my old breeder used to breed a black into the mix to bring the weight down. Hektor is active but we are finding that 3 oz of dry kibble per day is more than enough when other food items are taken into account. I have to say that the Vets are kind of weight obsessed where pugs are concerned and I have no intentions of letting the boy get fat. The main problem is that Pugs are so food absorbed and it is really difficult especially when meeting people with their dogs, who try to feed your dog treats.
Hi
I have 2 pugs, one is fawn she is only 18lbs. she has always been about that weight, our other pug is black she has always been much larger, she is about 31lbs! She should really only be about 25lbs. they started out the exact same, they are litter mates, so go figure. They eat about the same amount of food but, Dory is just a bigger , longer and taller dog. Our dogs are 8yrs. Just watch the treats and go easy on table food. Our dogs love baby carrots!

It's not easy having a big dog!
Thanks for that Julie, destroyed my theory in one about blacks being thinner and therefore lighter than the fawns. I suppose they are a bit like us humans, you are either thin or your not. Both our late dogs were fed exactly the same, got the same amount of exercise and one was thinner than the other. I agree about the treats though, we have him on a "light" treat and try not to feed him too many, and he is not fed from the table. Hektor loves those baby carrots too.

RSS

REACH 5,000 members

Advertise on Pugslife and reach out to over 5,000 pug owners.  All day, every day.

For more information, contact Christine London-Camper

Natural Dog Snout Soother

Snout soother nose balm for dogs. Your dogs will thank you!!!!

Twirly Says. . .

Twirly is our resident pug. When she's not napping, she likes to talk. and talk. and talk! Pug health. Pug training. Pug trivia. Pug, pug, pug ... all the time!

Do you know all about pugs? Not until you hear what Twirly Says.

Pugslife shirts

All proceeds go to help keep PUGSLIFE growing

Latest Activity

Konrad Jaschke commented on Konrad Jaschke's blog post Maxx Jarhead
"Luckily he doesn't have a big pug head!  I still can't believe he got the top off! :)"
9 hours ago
Di's spoiled kids commented on Konrad Jaschke's blog post Maxx Jarhead
"OMG, he is lucky that his head was not completely stuck, and good you came out when you did."
9 hours ago
Di's spoiled kids commented on Abbey Jenkins's photo
9 hours ago
Di's spoiled kids commented on Jan Gillihan's photo
9 hours ago
9 hours ago
Konrad Jaschke posted a blog post

Maxx Jarhead

I left Kloe and Maxx in the car while I went in to a restaurant with the family.  I came back it was raining like crazy, I look in the back of the car and Maxx has a big jar of cashews over his head.  I quickly took a picture and then raced into the car to take it off, was worried he might be dying. :)  He is all OK.  I should put it back on and get a good picture since it is really funny.  This pic is through the back hatch window and its raining very hard so its hard to see anything.You can…See More
9 hours ago
9 hours ago
Di's spoiled kids commented on julie foutch's photo
Thumbnail

my Bear

"Sweet sweet sleepy Bear"
9 hours ago
Di's spoiled kids commented on Konrad Jaschke's photo
Thumbnail

My sister and her kids

"Oh that is neat"
10 hours ago
Thumbnail

Enough with the chair pics already!

"Oh now that is no fun at all  LOL"
10 hours ago
Thumbnail

Are we there yet

"Know the feeling here too, Lizzy is always after Linus, and I tell him the same thing, as he did it to Lily"
10 hours ago
carol rochester commented on Konrad Jaschke's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0933

"follow the leader xx"
12 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Christine London-Camper.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service